Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Epiphany

I was in the process of doing laundry and getting some things done around the house and it hit me. I keep trying to figure out what kind of job would best suit me, which has been a real challenge for me. Then it dawned on me: I have never really thought in terms of: I would like to be a doctor or an architect or a pilot; my thinking is and always has been broader than this.

Several weeks ago at home church, Sally asked me what my dream job would be. I had a hard time telling her. I rattled off something about wanting to be a mountain guide. She gave me an odd look so I said, “Oh, you mean something
realistic, I guess a freelance graphic designer that actually made money…” What a lame statement. I am 27, so you would think I would have some kind of direction as to what I want to be doing!

But the thing is, I do know. I just think differently. I have always wanted to own a coffee shop or run an outfitter service in conjunction with an outdoors store or own a bed & breakfast in the mountains. There are other odd things I would love to do (long lists of ideas I have had for different kinds of shops), most people would think I am crazy, but that is how I am wired to think. I want to own the shop, not just show up to work for someone else every day…


It has been rather confusing for me because I thought I would reach this goal of “owning my own business” when I started freelancing, but it is not the same. I want a tangible place that I go to. Where clients or customers choose to come to see me. Freelancing from home does not offer this nor is graphic design the thing that really gets me excited…


My epiphany is this: what I really would love, is to own a shop that offers a variety of things including specialty coffee and baked goods that I create, books, graphic design services, interior design services as well as selling local items of artists or crafters… Now is that too much to ask for?


At any rate I have a better answer the next time someone asks me what I really want to be/or do with my life. For my birthday my mentor, LaCinda, gave me a mug that says,
“What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?” Well, my answer is in the sentences above. I may never long to be an accountant or a Charlotte banker, I am just not wired that way.
 
Now if only I could figure out how to realize this dream occupation...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...