Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Confessions of a non-parent...


I am thirty years old and I could probably count the number of times that I have babysat {in my lifetime} on both hands {maybe one hand}... Now that I have a precious little niece, most of those times have been in the last 20 months.


That said, I am a smart and competent adult and I believe that little Izzy has a fun time with me and that she is safe in my care.


However, there are times when my lack of knowledge/experience shines through.


There was the time at Christmas when I put her down for a nap without removing her shoes first. She didn't seem bothered by sleeping in her sneakers, though she also didn't nap as long as usual.


Then there was the time I was making cookies and my sister told me to let Izzy lick the beater. I handed Izzy a beater that was covered in lots of gooey chocolate goodness. My sister looked at me and laughed. She said that she would have cleaned most of the batter off first. Again, Izzy didn't seemed bothered. In fact she looked like she pretty much enjoyed it.


Most recently, I was on babysitting duty and I decided to take Izzy to Chik-fil-a for lunch. I thought it would be prudent to take a diaper and wipes with me {just in case}. I opened up the travel wipes container and it was empty. I glanced around and saw "wipes" on the counter in a larger container. I pulled out a couple of said "wipes" and put them in the travel container and we hit the road. Thankfully I didn't have to change Izzy at CFA. Later that day, my sister opened the wipes container and asked if I had used the "wipes" that were in it. She sounded a bit distressed. I told how I had taken the wipes with me but did not have to use them. It turns out that the wipes I had taken where Lysol Wipes for cleaning NOT Huggies Wipes for babies. My bad.


It was not that I didn't recognize that using a cleaning supply on a baby wasn't the best option, it was more that I was in a hurry and at the time, wipes looked like wipes. Both brands happened to be green. I should have taken a closer look.


Thankfully Izzy is no worse for wear.

*Pictures courtesy of my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...