Monday, May 23, 2011

52 Books: Book 26


I am at the halfway mark with Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman. Several years ago when tragedy hit the Chapman family it was heartbreaking to hear of what they were enduring. Sadly their youngest daughter was killed when one of their sons accidentally ran over her. They are still putting the pieces back together and slowly moving on, one step at a time. As part of her recovery, Mary Beth Chapman chose to write this memoir.

The story itself is incredibly tragic and sad. You can't help but cry as you read through the account of what happened. Unfortunately the writing is not great. There was a missing element of rawness that you would expect from someone baring their soul. My heart goes out to the Chapman family. I am so sad for their loss and the burdens that their entire family will carry for the rest of their lives.

Excerpts from the book:
In the midst of such heartbreak, do I really believe that all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose?

The truth is, I was born with a plan. I wanted life to be safe and predictable. My plan was to marry someone with a nice nine-to-five schedule and have a tidy, organized life – everything in control. Absolutely none of that came true!

...guilt is not easily defeated by mere logic.

How would I have lived differently if I knew my time with Maria was going to be short?

Regretfully, I would have lived much differently. I would have purposefully hugged and kissed more. I would have tried to memorize and lock away in my heart certain smells and smiles. I would have colored more and worked less. I would have laughed more and fussed less.

Bedtime wouldn't have been a chore to check off the list of things to get done. Instead it would have been more of an opportunity to listen about the day and offer whatever words were needed. The swimming pool wouldn't have been too cold to swim in. The flowers in the garden would have all been picked, and definitely more ice cream would have been consumed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...