Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Foot Pain


When training for my first half marathon I never had any lasting pain. Prior to race day, my longest run was 10 miles and while it was uncomfortable at times, I found that I could get a good night's sleep and feel normal the next day.

Well the half marathon was 1.5 weeks ago and I am still feeling residual pain in my left foot. I expected to need to take a break after the race, but by the following Tuesday I was feeling fine and I went back to Kickboxing. Then last Wednesday I started back with Yoga and had no difficulty. I think that Yoga and Kickboxing use different muscles and parts of my foot than running because I have not experienced problems in either class.

Today I decided it was time to start running again. It kind of scares me that I will fall off the band wagon and lose my ability to run higher mileage. Don't get me wrong, I am not dieing to run 10+ miles but I would like to be able to comfortably run 3-6. 

Since it is hot and humid I opted for an indoor run on the treadmill. My goal was to ease into a 3-mile run. At 0.25 miles my foot started hurting. I pushed through 1 mile before finally giving up – I think I was hoping that using my foot would help heal it, but no dice.

So now I am back to that post-race feeling of serious pain in my foot. It really sucks. Daniel thinks I should avoid running for a full 2 weeks from now... will this mean I will lose all of my stamina? I don't think I really have an option at this point. 

On a side note while training for the half marathon I really thought it would be something that I did and crossed off my list and never thought of doing again. But a funny thing has happened. I kind of want to do it again. Don't get me wrong, I HATED the long training runs, but the actual race? That was an amazing experience. Plus I would like to try it again when I am not pregnant and can actually push myself to finish...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...