Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hammock Review

Back in early July, Daniel and I had the misfortune of our hammock giving up the good fight.

*This is how the hammock looked after it collapsed with us in it... 
imagine us laying on our backs with our feet in the air wondering "What the heck just happened???" Sophie managed to jump off as it was collapsing.

Posted to Facebook after our hammock collapsed {with us in it}:
Daniel and Cheree on the hammock: still ok. 
Daniel, Cheree and Sophie on the hammock: it collapsed under us!!!  
We are all ok. It turns out the steel stand had corroded over the last few years and it snapped in half when Sophie jumped on it. Daniel says with all 3 of us, we were over the 400 lb weight limit {yikes}. We have been laying on it all together for years...

We adore having a hammock, so we started the search for a new one. We decided to try a new style, The Pawleys Island Soft Weave Double Hammock {in red}. We really liked that the fabric was not vinyl and it was incredibly soft. We brought it home and set it up on the back porch only to discover that maybe it wasn't the best hammock for us...
  • The stand was much longer because the hammock hung from 2 points instead of 4, which took up more space on our porch.
  • Though soft, the material was too stretchy and the hammock would sag too much {almost to the ground} when we laid on it.
  • Since the hammock was only attached at 2 points, the stability was terrible {especially for this pregnant girl}. It was a huge hassle to get in and out of – I looked like a beached whale flopping about trying to get myself off of the silly thing. Also Sophie did not appear to be a fan of how much the hammock swayed when she jumped on and off of it. 
We were bummed about the purchase, but were able to exchange it for a newer version of our original hammock – The Garden Treasures Padded Hammock with Stand. The only negative is that the stripes are black instead of red, but I can live with that. Also the fabric is some type of vinyl and not quite as soft as the Pawley's version but there is ZERO sagging and I don't feel like it is going to tip over when I lay on it.


We are so happy to have a hammock again. Now we just need to install a fan on this end of the porch and it will be perfect for those lazy summer days. 


3 comments:

  1. they are definitely one of my favorite things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, Yeah I never sleep on the ground anymore. Hammocks are just to comfortable. We got a few more reviews of some other models coming up soon

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...