Monday, August 11, 2014

127 Sale, the longest yard sale in the world


Can I let you in on a little secret? I hate shopping. I also hate crowds. So I'm not sure what possessed us to tackle the longest yard sale in the world.


It probably had to do with the fact that it was literally only a few blocks from our house. The Hwy 127 Sale happens every August, with people selling used items all the way from Gadsden, Alabama to Addison, Michigan. The entire experience is kind of crazy! 


The other reason we braved the crowds was that Daniel took Jack on a four wheeler ride in our neighborhood and came back and told me that someone had a couple of church pews for sale. We lucked out and scored an 11-foot long pew for $65. It was a steal and it will look great on our long, front porch. Did I mention it was pouring down rain when we brought the pew home?


I must be really losing my marbles, because we went out on Friday and AGAIN on Saturday to see what there was to see at this sale. Thankfully being local has it's advantages and we knew some back roads to help us avoid the excessive traffic.


The best deal of the day (on Saturday) was finding a guy grilling burgers and hot dogs in his driveway. We bought 2 hamburgers, a hot dog and 2 bottles of water for $6. We also found a 7x10 rug for $40. I can't wait to get it set up in our bedroom.


A couple of other things we found were a Zoobs construction set ($3) and a slightly used pair of fireman's boots for Jack. We let him hand over the money in exchange for the boots – it is important to us that he learns the value of money, and age almost-three seems like a good enough time to start this process.


Jack has worn those boots non-stop for 3 days. I think that was $2 well spent.

The 127Sale Route {via}

A few of the other things we saw, but didn't buy:


Even though I hate shopping, I have a feeling we will be checking out this sale again next year. You never know what you will find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...