Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Chats with Jack ⎮ June-September, 2016


Jack: How come both of my grandpas don't work anymore?
Me: It's because they're retired.
Jack: Does that mean they're tired, if they're retired?
Me: Yes... Why do you think that they don't work anymore? Who told you?
Jack: I can't explain, it's just because the sensors in my brain told me.
.....
Jack: Mommy, when is daddy going to retire?
Me: When he's a grandpa.



When I grow up, I'm going to get a wallet. 




Saw a man with a pirate's hat at Pops in the Park
Jack asked "Mommy, are pirates real? Is Captain Hook real?"



Daniel: Were you glad we went to the fireworks? 
Jack: I was not glad.
Daniel: Why not?
Jack: I thought they would shoot us. 
[his concern stemmed from this video of a dog that picked up a Roman candle and shot people with it accidentally]


Me: You need to eat everything on your plate to get a snack later. 
Jack (upset): Even the squash? I might not like the squash!


Daniel said: He's in the process of requesting that I hand him various tools. And chastising me for handling him a regular wrench rather than a ratcheting one.


Mommy, if you try new things you get better at them. 


When are we going to have a play date at his house? I'll talk to his mom about that. If she says yes, I can tell you how to get there. 
[in reference to wanting to visit a friend's house]


Mommy, I had two distinct dreams last night. I need to tell you about them...
In the first dream, I went into Isaac's room to tell him I was scared and a monster came out. I know monsters aren't real. In the second dream, the light wasn't working and I was scared. 


[While watching a baptism at church]: Will I need my floaties?


I'm going to be motorcycled up [he made a fort with his motorcycle blanket]. 


The very goodest driver ever is God. 


Mommy, I have an ankle ache. Did you know that is a stomach ache in my ankle?   


The batteries in my listening ears are about to die. 


That moment when Jack, Wyatt, and the gator are silent in the woods for a little too long, and they come out of the woods with 40 pounds of firewood loaded....


Does God sleep?
Is God naked?


God is inside us so when we go to heaven we will be inside ourselves. 


Scuba dive means to go underwater for a million years. With a really big tank. That's how we breathe. 


Tie-toos [what Jack calls temporary tattoos]


Is this the trophy of chocolate? 
[in regards to a Reese's peanut butter cup]


Jack: Mommy, are you still pregnant?
Me: No, buddy. [Discussion ensues about how different families have different numbers of kids.]
Me: How many kids do you think we should have in our family.
Jack: One hundred!


I asked Jack if he was strong after he opened a string cheese package. 
I'm the hulk was his answer.


Watching Nature Cat explore a cave so I told Jack that Daniel and I met exploring a cave. 
Jack: You mean you met in a cave and you decided to be together?


When I grow up, I might want to be a mechanic. 


This drive is exhausting. [talking about the drive to daddy's work at Watts Bar]


You're melting me smalls. (I always tell Isaac, "You're killing me smalls" and Jack has started saying variations of this. He almost never says it right!


Coming home from vacation, we crossed into New York State (via Niagara Falls). As we made the crossing, we told Jack that "Welcome to New York!" And he said, "Yay! New York City is where all of your dreams come true!"
...
We had just read a condense version of James and the Giant Peach to him. In the book, New York City is where all of your dreams come true.



Favorite part of whole vacation: Getting to snorkel with Uncle Mike..... twice.


Jack told Daniel that his bicycle has extra pegs so he can have a passenger ride. His imaginary friend rides with him and his friend's name is Dezy. Dezy is 20 years old Jack is 10 years old.


In a single week Jack received the following in the mail: a postcard from Uncle Mark, a photo and note from Mrs Lina for graduating from the 3s class at church and a letter from his new 4s preschool teacher
Jack's response: Why do people keep sending me letters?


Me: Go potty and then you can watch one show.
Jack: If I go potty again, after that, can I watch another show?
Me: Yes. One potty, one show. 
Jack: It's a pattern!
Me: If I say turn off the TV, then you obey because I'm the mommy. 
Jack: Then that will be the end of the pattern. 



This ice cream [from Clumpies] is Batman Good. That means it's super good. 



Daniel to me: Jack may need to audition for the John Boy and Billy show...  He's working on learning to use multiple pulleys in series.
Daniel to Jack: "Jack, are you doing any good?"
Jack: "Gooder than a fried pancake."


Talking about genies and three wishes, I asked Jack what his three wishes would be. 

  1. Rainbows inside our house. 
  2. Everyone to live close to our house. 
  3. A yard at our house for me to mow.
 
Awesomeness – Jack's word for anything he really likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...