Saturday, October 27, 2012

Northwest Georgia: Brasstown Bald

We couldn't visit Northwest Georgia, the beginning of the Appalachian Mountains, without making an effort to see the highest point... 


Getting to the top of all of the highest peaks in the USA is #5 on my life list


Sadly, I think my 12-year-old self would be greatly disappointed that 20 years later I am just now bagging #7 out of 50. 


At this rate, I should see all of the high points in the USA if I live another 120 years. Yikes. I need to get on this goal and drag Daniel to more that 1 high point every 3 years. I digress.


The highest point in Georgia is Brasstown Bald, with a summit elevation of 4,784 feet above sea level. It was a 56-mile drive from where we were staying. This area of Georgia is absolutely gorgeous. After lunch and saying our goodbyes to my siblings, we headed up through the mountains so that I could cross Georgia off of my list.


Technically we didn't "climb" this mountain in the true sense of the word. We drove to the park at the top, then walked the last 6/10ths of a mile to the summit. We did it with a stroller. But I'm not going to lie, it was a pretty tough 6/10ths. We made the climb without stopping, but passed many others who had to stop.


Afterward, in the parking lot, we heard a little girl ask her grandfather why they took the shortcut coming back down!


The views from the lookout tower at the top were breathtaking – 360º of mountains. North, South, East, West. It was amazing.


I am so thankful to share these moments with Daniel and now with Jack as well. Maybe he can finish the states that I don't get to in my lifetime.


--- Highest Points I have been to at the time of this post: Mt. Magazine, AR; 
Mt. Elbert, CO; Mt. Mitchel, NC; Mt. Rogers, VA; Clingman's Dome, TN; 
Mt. Washington, NH, Brasstown Bald, GA ---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...