Thursday, September 01, 2011

52 Books: Books 36

Back in 2009 I read Julie and Julia {book 55 for that year} and was sorely disappointed. A book about blogging and cooking should have been perfect for me. Instead I read my way through a book about a woman whose mission in life {beside cooking her way through Julia Child's recipes} was to whine and complain about everything. I was not a fan. At all.


So two years later, I finally picked up My Life in France, the memoir of Julia Child. While Julie and Julia definitely have some things in common, Julia Child is much more of a grown up in how she deals with her problems. She embraces challenges and NEVER WHINES. I don't know if Julia Child ever read Julie Powell's book, but I think she would be appalled by how much of a whiner Julie is.

That being said, I enjoyed reading My Life in France and may have to incorporate some French recipes into my weekly menu.

Excerpts from the book:
"It's easy to get the feeling that you know the language just because you order a beer and they don't bring you oysters." – Paul Child

Upon reflection, I decided that I had three main weaknesses: I was confused (evidenced by a lack of facts, an inability to coordinate my thoughts, and an inability to verbalize my ideas); I had a lack of confidence, which caused me to back down from forcefully stated positions; and I was overly emotional at the expense of careful, "scientific" thought. I was thirty-seven years old and still discovering who I was.

...the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know...

I don't believe in twisting yourself in knots of excuses and explanations over the food you make... usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile... then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile – and learn from her own mistakes.

This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook – try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Cheree! This is not applicable to this post, but I have some questions about your graphic design work. Could you email me at rckstrscat at hotmail dot com? I'd love to know if you might be interested in doing some work for a new catering business of mine.

    Thanks so much!
    Catherine Mirante

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to post that as anonymous. Having trouble signing in with blogger for some reason. I usually post as "Cat" and you and I have chatted before about Harding, books, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...