Skip to main content


Showing posts from November, 2006

Adventures at Sams

Daniel and I are probably the only people on the planet that go to Sams and walk out empty handed 98% of the time. However the other 2% of the time lends itself to some crazy adventures.

Our first adventure at Sams happened almost 2 years ago. We decided to buy our mattresses at Sams. I wasn't sure at first, but I heard somewhere that you should lay on a mattress for at least 15 min before you buy it. So we went to Sams, found the one we wanted and layed it down in the aisle where we proceeded to lay on it for 15 minutes. We had plenty of comments from other shoppers, but in the end we were happy and the price was good and so we strapped it to the top of our Pathfinder and drove home praying it wouldn't start raining. This was our tamest Sams experience.

Our second adventure at Sams happened last year right before Christmas. We were in desperate need of a piece of furniture to accommodate people for sitting and sleeping. We found a futon that we loved - which was …
What do you need a 30 pack of drill bits, wax toilet bowl rings & 25 gallons of screws for?

This is the question Daniel posed as a riddle to the helpful Home Depot guy. After the HD guy scratched his head and couldn't come up with an answer, Daniel gave the answer to the riddle (my dad knows the answer)...

The screws are for screwing down the subfloor in our living room to prevent current and future squeeks before we install the new floor.

The drill bits are to pre-drill the holes for the screws. The floor is 20+ years old and the wood is extra hard and prone to break the drill bits (thus the 30 pack of drill bits).

The wax toilet bowl rings (this is the brilliant part from my dad) is to put the tips of the screws into to help them enter the floor in a quicker, smoother manner.

After the explanation, the HD guy scratched his head again and said that he had heard of screwing down floors but never of using a wax ring to help with the process.

You have now learned some…

Most Recent Embarrassing Moment

I take step aerobics. I have been doing step for about 3 years now so I should be adept at the class. Step aerobics involve a 6-12 inch high, 3 foot long, 1 foot wide step that you do a pattern of steps on and around.

Well in all of my great ability and gracefulness, last night at step class we were doing a more complex pattern of steps that involved stepping over and across the step and then turning around. I cannot adequately describe what happened, but basically my feet missed a step or two and I found myself laying on the ground on my back.

The instructor stopped instructing to ask me if I was ok. I promptly jumped back on my feet, gave her a thumbs up and finished the class.

The whole thing would not have been quite so embarrassing if it were a class full of strangers. However in this case, there is a girl from work that takes the class with me. After class I broke the ice and asked her if she had seen me fall and I made a wise crack about my clumsiness. Thankfully …