Monday, December 10, 2018

Mohaus Schoolhouse Week 16


Last week we finished Pilgrims Progress and How to Be a Pirate. Jack wanted to know if there was a movie to watch. LOL


Every morning we have listened to The Same Page podcast share the birth of Christ from the gospel of Luke, and the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" by Clement Clarke Moore. Jack thinks the line "He had a broad face, and a little round belly, that shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly" is hilarious.


We started our Slow + Sacred Advent by Jennifer Naraki. We did this study last year and I enjoyed how it takes us through the time leading up to the birth of Christ. Each week we read different scriptures, discuss different aspects of the birth of Christ, make a recipe, do copywork, listen to Christmas hymns, and make some type of handicraft.


Last week we talked about the seed of Christ, as in the genealogy and the promise of redemption. Then we planted a tree to help us remember what we had learned.


We also talked about the Fruit of the Spirit, and ways that we can spread kindness during this season. Our recipe was an Orange Cake. Instead of a cake, we decided to make two loaves of orange cake and share one with another family.


I created an Advent Calendar for the second year. Each envelope is filled with scripture and candy. We read and enjoy the candy as a family every night after supper.


We picked up our live Christmas tree as a family, and got it set up in our living room. We strung the lights and it is just waiting for us to make strings of popcorn, and homemade gingerbread cookies.
It's funny what kids remember... Isaac immediately told me that he didn't want to hang food on this tree. He wants to eat the food instead! I told him we could do both.


Another Christmassy thing we have going on, is that Jack set up my dad's electric train track next to the Christmas tree. He and Isaac spend hours playing with this toy from a couple of generations ago.


During the week, Jack got to help Daniel use the electric winch to pull one of our vehicles into the garage. He also used the winch with a pulley system to lift himself into the air (STEM!).


We did a little more painting at the end of the week. Jack painted his version of a Christmas tree and I worked on painting an ornament for an Ornament Swap party I attended at church.


A lot of afternoons end with Jack playing with one of his neighborhood friends. They like to make their way between the houses. If they are lucky, and it is cold, I let them have some hot chocolate.


While Jack was at his YMCA Enrichment program I used my free time to wrap up a couple of freelance design projects.


We had mid-week dentist appointments. Everyone in our family is cavity free (even with the hot chocolate habit).


On Sunday Jack's Boy Scout Troop did a service project together.


We haven't done our Friend Friday or weekly hikes lately. I am going to blame both on the weather. To be honest, I have had a hard time getting either of these activities off the ground this year. And both are really important to me. They just aren't happening like I hoped. That is just the ebb and flow of homeschooling. Sometimes things work out like you want them to, sometimes they don't. We will just keep trying to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...