Saturday, March 28, 2009

Engagements

It seems that in recent years, news of engagements has been replaced by the "We're having a baby" news. However in the past couple of weeks, several people I know have gotten engaged including my cousin, my best friend from high school and one of Daniel's good friend's. We are quite excited for all of these loved ones and their coming nuptials.

Then the other day, I read one of my friend's blogs about her funny engagement story and I thought it would be nice to revisit the past and share my own engagement story and ask that you guys share your engagement stories as well.


So here goes...

Daniel and I met and dated in college. We actually met in February of his last semester at Harding - he would be transferring to Tennessee Tech to finish his Engineering degree. After much discussion that summer, we agreed to continue dating long distance the following year.

The following spring, I was getting ready to graduate and had a senior art show to set up for. It was right before finals and my turn to travel to Tennessee to see Daniel. I was feeling very overwhelmed with having too much on my plate and at the last moment decided I didn't think I should go to Tennessee after all. I discussed this with my roommate, Lisa, who promptly convinced me to drive to see Daniel, promising she would help me set up my art show when I returned. She had a hunch, but didn't say anything other than to persuade me to go see my boyfriend.


So I drove. The whole 7-ish hours to Cookeville I was annoyed that I was wasting all of this time driving when I should be studying and setting up my show. When I pulled up to Daniel's apartment, he had me get back in the car - he had plans to take me somewhere.


So I begrudgingly complied and he drove out to Gainsboro to Fat Bottom Road (no kidding about the name of the road). We proceeded to drive up a mud road until we could drive no further, then we got out and walked to a point where we could set up a picnic and watch the sun set. And there, on a blanket in the woods at the end of Fat Bottom road, Daniel proposed.


I think I said, "Really?" Followed by, "Of Course." My roommate was right and I came back an engaged woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...