Saturday, January 09, 2010

Thanking God That We Are NOT Moving to Alaska

Charlotte, North Carolina is generally a pretty temperate city. We get a few truly cold days a year and I am fine with that.

This past week has been something else. I know that the whole country is experiencing a cold spell, but man oh man, it has been cold. I have worn 2-3 layers of clothes daily. And we haven't even been blessed with snow.

All I keep thinking is that I am glad Daniel didn't get an offer to move us to Alaska. I realize that moving to the Tennessee mountains will bring a colder climate, but it will have nothing on Alaska. I can't imagine these frigid temps ALL OF THE TIME. My Canadian blood isn't helping me out too much. I guess I am just a wimp and have lived in the south too long. 

Besides it being cold, we are doing our {final} tiling project today. For some reason, we always manage to tile when it is freezing. This gives us near frostbite on our hands and puts us both in a bad mood while we combat frozen limbs and tiling dilemmas simultaneously. Somehow things always manage to turn out ok and we have yet to lose any fingers or toes to the cold {yet}.

Regarding the cold... I saw this on someone's facebook status and it made me laugh:  
"Hey Winter, Al called, he's upset you didn't watch his movie or read his book.."

Note: For comparison sake, I just checked weather.com and Charlotte, NC is currently 36 F and feels like 27 F. Palmer, Alaska is 17 F and feels like 17 F. Chattanooga, TN is 27 F and feels like 17 F... YIKES!

2 comments:

  1. AK is suprisingly not as cold feeling than the south when it turns cold. They have less humidity, which makes the "feels like temperature" stay close to the actual temperature. When we were in AK early March 01 the temps were always between 10-36, with little to no difference in what it felt like. I'm sure you'll readjust. And believe it or not TX (Houston) had colder actual and wind chill temps on Thursday-Saturday than we did in Raleigh. It's been one crazy winter.
    H. Holland

    ReplyDelete
  2. What part of Alaska did you visit? Palmer is not far from Denali National park (i.e. interior and colder). I lived in Canada for 3 years and while it is a drier cold, it is quite frigid (dipping down into the teens and negatives quite often).

    It has been such a weird year for weather in the south (really everywhere).

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...