Friday, April 01, 2011

ENTP

Over the last decade I have taken the Meyer's Brigg Personality test on several different occasions. When I was first out of college, I always scored extremely close in the Extrovert/ Introvert category. I also tended to be close in the Intuitive/Sensor and Thinker/Feeler sections. However I have always consistently scored higher as a Perceiver than a Judger.

I recently took this test again and was intrigued to learn that I have developed a more consistent personality. There was no room for crossover this time. It is as if I finally know who I am. My score revealed that I was definitely an ENTP.

Here is a sampling that describes the ENTP:
ENTPs are idea people. Their perceptive abilities cause them to see possibilities everywhere. They get excited and enthusiastic about their ideas, and are able to spread their enthusiasm to others.
ENTPs are less interested in developing plans of actions or making decisions than they are in generating possibilities and ideas. Following through on the implementation of an idea is usually a chore to the ENTP. For some ENTPs, this results in the habit of never finishing what they start.
 
ENTPs are fluent conversationalists, mentally quick, and enjoy verbal sparring with others. They love to debate issues, and may even switch sides sometimes just for the love of the debate. When they express their underlying principles, however, they may feel awkward and speak abruptly and intensely.  
In general, ENTPs are upbeat visionaries. They highly value knowledge, and spend much of their lives seeking a higher understanding. They live in the world of possibilities, and become excited about concepts, challenges and difficulties. When presented with a problem, they're good at improvising and quickly come up with a creative solution. Creative, clever, curious, and theoretical...
When I was in my early 20s, these descriptions would not have necessarily fit me. I was incredibly shy about my ideas and opening up to others. I am still sometimes shy, but the traits described above fit me to a tee. I believe that as we mature it is easier to identify with who we truly are.

2 comments:

  1. I love Myers Briggs stuff. I am an INTJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see how different personalities function - esp with each other.

    Do you think you have changed since college or have you always been a pretty solid INTJ?

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...