Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Weekly Hike: Signal Point to Rainbow Lake Loop

Wednesday afternoons will always be my favorite, and I hope my kids will some day look fondly back on this time.

The time we have spent together. The time spent discovering our mountain and surrounding valley. And the time and experiences we have shared with friends.

Each week is a little different. Different combinations of people showing up. Regulars alongside faces that come and go. We are blessed to be friends with a group of easy-going people who are welcoming to whoever is able to make it to our weekly hikes.

 
At the beginning of the 2020 school year, I would not have felt comfortable bringing this group of kids to Signal Point and the Julia Fall Overlook. It's a trail with high, exposed bluffs and early on the kids didn't always listen or pay attention very well.
 


As we near the end of the school year, I knew this group could handle it. I knew I could trust them. I knew they wouldn't whine (too much) about the duration or amount of incline we would experience on the trail.

As a mother, and someone who loves the outdoors, I have enjoyed seeing them become more comfortable in the outdoors. I love to see their curiosity as we discover new plants and bugs. I love watching their confidence and skills blossom on the trail.
 


 
I know I sound like a broken record, but trail friends are the best blessing. And getting to share my favorite places with others is icing on the cake for our homeschooling experience.
 


 
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like falling leaves." – John Muir


 

This was my 37th hike for 2021 (37/52). We knocked out 3.5 miles bringing me to 115 miles hiked this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...