Thursday, May 29, 2008

My first wipe out...

This morning on the way to catch the bus, I took my first real spill. I have come close in the past - mountain biking, there have been numerous times I have banged handle bars, pedals, knees and elbows on trees as I rode by. There have even been some almost-spills. But this is the first, entire body and bike laying on the ground kind of spill.

It happened as I was reaching my bus stop. I could see the bus ahead getting ready to make the turn to where the bus stop was. I was pedaling furiously hoping to make it. I was also hoping the normal group would be there so it would give me a chance to make it.


As I rounded the corned, I realized there were no people. So I decided to try to get off of the sidewalk and cut through the dirt and mulch, hoping the bus driver would see me. Of course, I had skinny tires on my bike, not my big knobby ones for mountain biking.


So instead of making a smooth transition, I immediately found myself and the bike in a heap on the ground. I have some bruises and road rash (I guess you would call it mulch rash since I was not on the road).


I was laying there as the bus driver turned the corner. He passed the stop so I just laid there not sure of what to do. Then I saw him stop. So I jumped up, grabbed my bike and hopped on the bus.


After riding into town and regaining my composure. I went up to the front of the bus to wait for my stop. I was the last one off, so I made small talk with the bus driver. I asked him if he had seen me fall. He apologized to me and told me that he had seen me fall and that his first reaction was to laugh! I told him it was ok, b/c I probably would have laughed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...