Tuesday, December 07, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 48


One of my goals for 2011 is to compete in a Sprint Triathlon {#20 on my life list}. As motivation to meet this goal, I purchased the book Triathlons For Women by Sally Edwards. I found it to be very informative and full of great advice for women looking to participate in their first triathlon. From what type of gear you need, to training programs and suggestions on what to eat, this book covers just about everything there is to know about triathlons.

I hope to find a spring race to participate in, but if not, I have my eye on the Mountain Lakes Triathlon that will be held in Guntersville, Alabama on August 13, 2011.

Excerpts from the book:
"A generation ago you would have been labeled tomboys. You know, women who want to be like men, or girls who want to be like boys. But, you also know that girls love sports the same way that boys do. You are each athletes, not tomboys." – Greg Rorke (1990 President of Danskin)

Acknowledge that there will be pain. Exhaustion and discomfort are part of the entry fee that's paid to reach the finish line, so go ahead and pay the price, but only to a point. When you reach a point where pain is verging on bodily over extension and breakdown, back off. It's better to finish upright than to practice the "triathloid crawl."

Somewhere between being feminine and athletic there still seems to be a problem: We feel we can't be both, because the two are such opposites that one must suffer for the other. We want to be athletes, which requires that we be tough, aggressive, and forceful, even dominant. But we must submerge our athletic side when we want to be feminine, a role that is understood to be supportive, passive, tender, emotional. What is a woman to do?

Remember the 20-degree rule – add 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) to the ambient temperature, and that's how how it will be during your run. You should dress for the 20-degree rule.

The woman who starts the race is not the same as the woman who finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...