Monday, January 09, 2012

2012 Book 1: The Secret Garden


To kick off the new year I read on of my all-time favorite books, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is probably the only book that I have read multiple times. When I was about 11 I had a copy and it was dog-eared. I read that book so many times I had entire passages memorized. I absolutely adored it. I still love it.

Excerpts from the book:
If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.

One of the strange things about living in the world is that it is only now and then one is quite sure one is going to live forever and ever and ever. One knows it sometimes when one gets up at the tender solemn dawn-time and goes out and stands out and throws one's head far back and looks up and up and watches the pale sky slowly changing and flushing and marvelous unknown things happening until the East almost makes one cry out and one's heart stands still at the strange unchanging majesty of the rising of the sun--which has been happening every morning for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. One knows it then for a moment or so. And one knows it sometimes when one stands by oneself in a wood at sunset and the mysterious deep gold stillness slanting through and under the branches seems to be saying slowly again and again something one cannot quite hear, however much one tries. Then sometimes the immense quiet of the dark blue at night with the millions of stars waiting and watching makes one sure; and sometimes a sound of far-off music makes it true; and sometimes a look in someone's eyes.

Much more surprising things can happen to anyone who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable, determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place.

At first people refuse to believe that a strange new thing can be done, then they begin to hope it can be done, then they see it can be done--then it is done and all the world wonders why it was not done centuries ago.

Two things cannot be in one place. Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by - I'm so glad you liked my book review and are adding One Month To Live to your TBR reading list!

    Can you believe that I have never read The Secret Garden? I want to, though, after reading your exceprts - the writing is so beautiful! I especially like that last quote - I'm going to save it for future reference!

    I started a new meme today - Inspire Me Monday - and I would personally like to invite you to link up this post - I found it VERY inspiring!

    Thanks and have a fabulous day!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona - thank you for the invite, I will definitely link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *raising my hand sheepishly* I've never read The Secret Garden, either. I think this year I need to read some Frances Hodgson Burnett, as I have three of hers on my shelves. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the Secret garden last year, but I listened to an audio book version. It was quite good but I wished I had read an actual paper copy rather than the annoying audio !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this one! I'm thinking I'll read it in 2013. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations - you are one of my featured bloggers on this week's Inspire Me Monday!

    I hope you will share another inspiring post with us this week!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...