Saturday, July 30, 2011

Veggie Lasagna


Last week my menu plans included this recipe for Slow Cooker Spinach Mushroom Lasagna from The Way The Cookie Crumbles. Unfortunately I bought the wrong kind of noodles and ended up cooking it in oven instead of my crock pot. I also decided to add sauteed squash to the dish and it turned out really well. So, here is my version of Vegetable Lasagna. Bon apetit.

Veggie Lasagna
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients
  • 9 oven-ready lasagna noodles
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 1½ pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 16 ounces fresh baby spinach
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 1¼ cups (2½ ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
  • Heat oven to 425ºF.
  • Saute zucchini in olive oil, then set aside.
  • Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
  • Add spinach, cover and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. 
  • Stir in crushed tomatoes and ½ tsp salt. Heat through, about 7 minutes.
  • In a medium bowl, mix ricotta, 1 cup of Parmesan, basil, egg, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper together. Arrange 4 lasagna noodle pieces in 9x13 glass dish, overlapping if necessary, then dollop 9 rounded tablespoons of ricotta mixture over noodles. 
  • Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, layer zucchini on top, then spoon 1 cup more mushroom-spinach sauce over top. 
  • Repeat the layering of lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and mushroom-spinach sauce twice more. 
  • For the final layer sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
  • Cover dish with two layers of aluminum foil and cook until the lasagna is heated through, about 60 minutes. 
  • Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...