Friday, December 30, 2011

52 Books: Book 52


Another year and another 52 books done. I wrapped up 2011 by reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. This is one of my favorite stories of all time. My mom may be shocked to hear that either I never actually read Little Women or I have long since forgotten much of the written story.

The 1949 version of Little Women starring Elizabeth Taylor as Amy was watched repeatedly in our home when I was growing up and reading the book I was surprised at how closely this film followed the first half of the book. The second half is not followed quite as closely but was appropriate for the screen.

Growing up, I was disappointed that Laurie and Jo's romance never blossomed. It always bothered me. I wanted so badly for Jo {who I wanted to be like} to marry Laurie {who I adored} and it made me sad that the movie didn't end the way I thought it should. I think the book does a better job of making the case for why Jo and Laurie would never make a good pair. Either that or I have matured enough to understand and appreciate why Alcott wrote the story the way she did.

Anyways this wraps up another year of 52 books and I am glad to end with this classic story that I love.

Excerpts from the book:
Money is a needful and precious thing,--and, when well used, a noble thing,--but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace.
I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good. To be admired, loved, and respected. To have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience.
The best of us have a spice of perversity in us, especially when we are young and in love.

Don't neglect husband for children, don't shut him out of the nursery, but teach him how to help in it. His place is there as well as yours, and the children need him. Let him feel that he has a part to do, and he will do it gladly and faithfully, and it will be better for you all.

One discovered that money couldn't keep shame and sorrow out of rich people's houses, another that, though she was poor, she was a great deal happier, with her youth, health, and good spirits, than a certain fretful, feeble old lady who couldn't enjoy her comforts...

Touched to the heart, Mrs. March could only stretch out her arms, as if to gather children and grandchildren to herself, and say, with face and voice full of motherly love, gratitude, and humility--'Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...