Monday, February 06, 2012

Comfort Food: Tuna, Pasta and Cheese Gratin

Also known as Tuna Noodle Casserole.

I am a big fan of this kind of casserole, but since I rarely cook the same thing twice, I have long since lost my favorite version of this recipe. I was really excited to come across a close enough version from Elizabeth's Edible Experience {she adapted her version of the casserole from a William Sonoma recipe.

I don't know what makes me love this casserole so much. I think that it reminds me of Wilderness Trek...

Tuna, Pasta and Cheese Gratin
Adapted from
Elizabeth's Edible Experience

Ingredients
  • 1lb whole wheat rigatoni pasta
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 6 tbs (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp pepper
  • ground nutmeg, to taste
  • 8 oz tuna, packed in sunflower oil
  • 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.

Bring a large pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package. Drain and transfer to a bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and celery in olive oil. Set aside. 

Melt 4 tbs of butter. Add the flour, stirring until fully incorporated, about 3 minutes; do not allow to brown.

Slowly add the milk and cream, whisking constantly.
Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Add the sauce to the macaroni and mix well.

Fold in the tuna, onions, celery and cheese.

Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Top with the bread crumbs. Finally, cut the remaining 2 tbs of butter into bits and use to dot the top of the gratin.

Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...