Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chocolate Oreo Cake


Saturday we went to Chattanooga to hang out with TTU friends – can't believe it has been almost 10 years since we were in Cookeville!

Since Jack is still little, we opted to go down just for an evening of dinner and games {everyone else met earlier in the day for lunch and bowling}. 


I hate to show up to a get together empty handed, so I raided my cupboards to see what I could whip up... 


I had a container of Hershey's Cocoa Powder and it had a recipe for a chocolate cake on the back. I also had leftover Oreos from the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bars that I made for Valentines Day. So I decided to make a cake topped with Oreos and Cool Whip. It turned out to be incredibly moist and delicious – definitely a hit.


Chocolate Oreo Cake


Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY®'S Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot fudge sauce*
1 cup boiling water
Oreos, 1/2 package chopped (or as many as you want).
Cool Whip

Directions
Heat oven to 350º F. 
Spray cooking spray in 9x13x2 pan.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. 
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. 
Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). I found this step to be odd, but I think it made the cake incredibly moist.
Pour batter into prepared pan.  
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. 
Cool cake then top with oreos and finally cool whip. 
Serve with a glass of milk.

*Update: I forgot to include the secret ingredient when I first posted. Hot fudge sauce for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...