Skip to main content


You could say that the last couple of days have not exactly brought things to be thankful for. There were the freezing temps, frozen pipes, and a lingering sickness that has progressed to chest pain. But there really is plenty to be thankful for.

When I mentioned, on Facebook, that we had no water due to frozen pipes, we had many offers to come take showers. Then a friend put me in contact with her sister and brother-in-law. They texted me to make sure we were okay AND had their plumber call me directly at 9pm at night. Thankfully by that time, Daniel had managed to thaw the pipe that was frozen in our slab basement floor.

When the water came on, Jack came running into the living room and told me something was wrong with the water because it was pouring out brown into the bathtub. We flushed every faucet and have clean, running water again. Daniel had a lot of clean up to do in the mechanical room, and the sinks and tubs all need to be cleaned, but we have water and no pipes busted in the process!

I am thankful for that clean, running water and for friends and strangers who had suggestions and were willing to lend a hand or open their homes to us. I'm also thankful that Daniel was able to come home early and get the problem fixed – even if it meant staying up late.

I have had a head cold for the last 7 days and it progressed to severe chest pain yesterday. I called the on-call doctor late last night and they told me to go to a walk-in clinic to make sure I didn't have pneumonia. Thankfully, it appears that I just pulled muscle in my chest and back from coughing too hard. The doctor (cheekily) told me to stop coughing and the chest pain would stop. I am now on antibiotics and a heating pad and Tylenol for the pain. The pain is "yell out loud" intense when I cough, but thankfully it's not pneumonia.

Yesterday in the midst of not having water, and feeling progressively worse, Jack took the opportunity to dance and sing a made up song. He danced in the sunlight by the back door for a good 10 minutes. I love to see the joy my child finds in little things. He had no idea that we didn't have water or that mommy didn't feel well. He just wanted to dance in the sunshine, and for that I am thankful.

I am thankful that Daniel was able to take the day off work to take me to the doctor and to spend time with Jack while I try to get better. He is back on mandatory 6 day work weeks (starting this week), but was able to make me a priority. It will be hard for all of us in the coming weeks when he has to work long hours, but for today, I'm thankful that he is home and that Jack didn't have to be cooped up, sitting on the couch with his sick mama.

I am trying hard to focus on peace this year and to find the things to be thankful about, even during the days that feel hard.


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Update: 32 Weeks, What's It Like to Have Polyhydramnios

I have had some questions about how I am feeling so I thought I would share what it has been like for me to experience Polyhydramnios with this pregnancy. If you have missed my previous posts, I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus which makes my belly really big and it also causes early contractions (and possibly labor) because my body thinks it is further along than it is. For me it meant a hospital stay at almost-30 weeks to stop contractions.

Yesterday I had my follow up with the high-risk OB. Their ultrasound measurements showed the fluid is currently 21cm (which is below the risk). The measurements are a bit of an art project with different people getting different numbers (last week I was still measuring 25cm). The doctor I saw said they will continue to measure and assess me on a weekly basis for now. According to him, once I make it to 34 weeks, they would not try to prevent birth if I went into labor. He also mentioned wanting to induce me at 38 weeks. We shall see... my…

Weekend Project: Sign Art

UPDATE 01/07/16
This project is by far my most viewed post thanks to Pinterest and also this blog post from Make Magazine in 2014. If you are interested in purchasing a PDF of the words from me, you may do so for $20. Contact me at cheree dot moore at gmail dot com to make the purchase. If you make your own sign, I would love to hear about and see your results!

For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of transferring printed art to wood. Specifically the transfer of words (or typography). Sign art is all over the internet – be it blogs I follow or Pinterest – and I have had an itch to try my hand at it. 

Daniel and I had some scrap wood from pallets from our move to Alabama that was in good shape and I thought that this wood gave me the perfect opportunity to create a (cheap) sign for our living room.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to go on the sign and then it took even longer to research how I would do the transfer. Actually doing the project took even longer sin…

It's the Final Countdown

Three long years ago, we learned that Daniel was going to be relocated from working in Hollywood, Alabama to two hours north in Spring City, Tennessee. We knew it was coming, but it still turned our world upside down. We spent eight months living out of suitcases, in and out of hotels and vacation homes during the week, until finally settling into our current home on Signal Mountain.
We both felt strongly that we made the right choice in regard to the location of our new home, but we knew it would be a difficult journey – Daniel's new position promised long hours, with a 70-minute commute each way. We were told the job would last about a year, so we hoped and prayed for the best.
To say it's been a hard experience would be an understatement. Jack went through a phase where he didn't believe that Daniel lived at our house. Which was kind of true. For months on end, Daniel worked 6-7 days a week, and sometimes weeks at a time without a day off. The hours were lo…