Monday, August 27, 2018

Mohaus Schoolhouse Week 3


Our third week of homeschool proved to be quite busy.


Isaac started preschool three days a week, and Jack started his weekly enrichment program at the Y.


We decided to implement STEAM Tuesday’s and Jack chose to make Flubber. Which was a huge success (once we realized we had too much liquid starch and removed the excess). He and Isaac have been playing with their “super toxic sludge” all week.


Wednesday will be our Nature Hike day, but I have been seeing the chiropractor every other day so we ran out of time this week. Instead we hit up the library. 


Thursday is Y day and on the drive we always listen to the Classics for Kids podcast. Jack was whining about having to listen to the classical music so I told him to read a book. A little while into the podcast, Jack piped up, “Hey, the Minions sing this song!” And it turns out that he was right. In D3, the minions sing their version of the Gilbert & Sullivan song “The Model of a Major-Modern General” from “Pirates of Penzance.” We YouTubed the song from the play and the song from the movie and were laughing hysterically. I am determined to learn all the real words and we were silly all week making up our own versions of the song.


Friday will continue to be our Friend Friday (OR Fun Friday when we ended up doing stuff sans friends, which unfortunately happens 😕). Today we took bikes to the RiverPark and my boys had a little bike gang going. I love seeing them with their friends (and the fact that I get to catch up with my friends).


We listened to some great debates on the Smash, Boom, Best podcast and learned some hilarious things relating to the science of gross sounds and smells on BrainsOn! And also enjoyed stories about Amelia Earhart on the Past and the Curious. Podcasts for kids are becoming one of my favorite things!


We have almost finished reading “Ollie’s Oddysey” and are about halfway through “The Minpins” by Roald Dahl. Reading in the hammock is our favorite thing.


I have a confession (and it isn’t very Charlotte-Masonish of me), but I really don’t like reading Aesops Fables aloud to my kids. I have to explain too much. I think we’re going to drop it 🤷‍♀️


It’s been another good week of school. The rest of our curriculum arrived. We had some eventful (nail-biting) experiences with the camper. And it’s hard to believe that we only have one week left until we hit the road.


What Our Homeschool Looked Like in August:
Week 1-2 (Aug. 8-18)
Week 3 (Aug. 19-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...