Monday, November 12, 2018

Mohaus Schoolhouse Week 12


I think doubt is one of the hardest parts of doing anything worth doing, and as I have experienced recently, Homeschool is not immune to that doubt. Week 12 of our year feels like we are finally overcoming some of that doubt and finding our groove. I’m sure I’ll lose my way again, but with reminders from friends and research and resources to guide me along, hopefully I always find my way back.



It feels like we were just celebrating Halloween and my birthday. And suddenly Jack is now seven and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I need to focus on making sure we find moments to savor during this busy season of life.



During our 12th week Jack rediscovered his love for math. Swapping curriculums and also starting the free math app, Prodigy, has him loving numbers again.



We finished the Young Ben Franklin podcast last week and followed up with researching more about Ben Franklin this week with books like Now & Ben (I highly recommend this book). We read the poem, "The Man from Snowy River," and it reminded me of my sister (it’s her favorite movie) and has me wanting to show the boys the scene of the cowboys rounding up the horses in the mountains.



We are continuing to love The Past and the Curious and Same Page podcasts. This was our last week to listen to "The Road Less Taken" and an excerpt from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Jack and I now have both of these passages memorized. We ended the week by reading Ella Bella Ballerina and the Midsummer Night's Dream. Jack thought the part about a man named Bottom being turned into a half-man half-donkey was hilarious. I’m hoping to get ahold of the full play and read it to him soon. Another podcast we have discovered is Grimm, Grimmer, Grimmest. Both my boys are enjoying this spin on the Grimms Brothers tales.



We learned about civic duty and a little bit of politics as Jack went with me to vote in this year’s mid-term elections.



We read from several nature books on our weekly hike to Green Gorge and savored the season and each other’s company.



Before the weather turned colder, we enjoyed park time with bikes, knowing those moments may be limited for a bit.



Isaac’s class performed Daniel in the Lions Den for preschool chapel and Jack enjoyed helping me make cookies for the Homeschool program at the Y.



We ended the week with surprise guests— my sister and her kids came up from Florida to celebrate Jack’s 7th Birthday weekend with us. We had a lovely weekend with family and friends.



It looks like this week will fly by and we will be celebrating Thanksgiving before we know it!


What Our Homeschool Looked Like in November:
Week 12 (Nov. 4-10)
Week 13 (Nov. 11-17)
Week 14 (Nov. 18-24)
Week 15 (Nov. 25-Dec. 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...