Monday, November 19, 2018

Mohaus Schoolhouse Week 13

Last week was week 13 of our homeschool and it was a busy one. Monday was Veterans Day and Jack was still riding the high of turning seven. 


Tuesday we woke up to no power and spent the morning at the coffee shop where we learned all about teeth in honor of Jack’s very first loose tooth.



On the podcast front we listened to a Past and the Curious episode about the Statue of Liberty and learned all sorts of interesting facts, which I later tried to stump my dad with. But he is a walking encyclopedia, the Google before there was google, and he already knew everything we had to share.



We are listening to Peter Pan and also started listening to The Little Pilgrims Progress — which I wasn’t sure if jack would understand or like. It turns out it is one of his favorite books to listen to. 

For memorization, we have moved on from lines from A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Robert Frost to lines from Romeo and Juliet, and the poem “If” by Rudyard Kipling.



I am reading aloud The Mysterious Howling and The One and Only Ivan. Jack is progressing with writing and our language arts program, and somehow got a 4th grade placement on the Prodigy Math App. Either he knows more than what I have taught him or he takes after me and is really good at guessing (though the test was not all multiple choice).



I enjoyed attending Isaac’s Thanksgiving Feast at preschool on Thursday, and then Friday we had a field trip to Audobon Acres to participate in Pioneer Days with friends, which we all loved.



It perfectly dovetailed in with our recent completion of Little House in the Big Woods

Saturday our family attended the Hickory Hills Youth Trials Clinic where both boys got to practice new skills and also came home with 2nd place finishes in their respective skill groups.



Sunday we ended our week by hosting friends for our third annual Friendsgiving.



This time of year is always crazy busy and I am grateful for all the time that homeschool allows for our family to be together.


What Our Homeschool Looked Like in November:
Week 12 (Nov. 4-10)
Week 13 (Nov. 11-17)
Week 14 (Nov. 18-24)
Week 15 (Nov. 25-Dec. 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...