Saturday, January 16, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 3

It's just the start of week 3, but I just finished up a delightful little book by Hugh Macleod. Ignore Everybody and 39 other keys to creativity is a fun, quick read that I would recommend to anyone in the creative field.

We all have creativity in us and more often that not, we find ourselves yearning for something more than the 9-5 job that we work in order to be responsible adults. Hugh MacLeod talks to that yearning and gives some decent advice on how to pursue those desires. While not earth-shattering, it is presented in short, witty chapters that I found enjoyable to read.

His cartoons on the back of business cards, I could take or leave. Some were pretty funny, some were just out there. If you are bothered by language, he uses the F*bomb a lot {just so I warned you}.

Some of my favorite passages {I have been trying to limit myself to a max of five in these posts... this book is full of great quotes}:
Doing anything worthwhile takes forever. Ninety percent of what separates successful people from failed people is time, effort, and stamina.
The first rule of business is never sell something you love. Otherwise, you might as well be selling your children.
Art suffers the moment people start paying for it. The more you need the money, the more people will tell you what to do.
Writer's block is a symptom of feeling like you have nothing to say, combined with the rather weird idea that you should feel the need to say something... If you have something to say, then say it. If not, enjoy the silence while it lasts. The noise will return soon enough... Trying to create when you don't feel like it is like making conversation for the sake of conversation.
This book summed up... Work hard. Keep at it. Live simply and quietly. Remain humble. Stay positive. Create your own luck. Be nice. Be polite.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...