Tuesday, July 05, 2011

July 4th is...

eating good food.

 spending time with family.

 doing something fun.

watching fireworks.

 playing in the water.

We don't always get to spend every holiday with family, but now that we are closer, it is getting easier. My sister, her husband and my niece came down to spend the holiday weekend with us.


Saturday we took Izzy to the Splash Pad in Scottsboro and then came home and I threw BBQ chicken, corn on the cob and zucchini slices on the grill. I also whipped up a Blueberry Strawberry Trifle that was delish.


Sunday we got up and went to Chattanooga. We had lunch at Mellow Mushroom and then headed over to the Tennessee Aquarium. It was my first visit to an aquarium {#98 on my life list} and I enjoyed all of the exhibits. We probably walked about 3 miles and Izzy was pretty worn out by the time we got to the second half. But she was a trooper. My favorite exhibit was the penguins. I think Izzy was enamored with the touch tanks. After the aquarium we stopped at Ben & Jerrys for some ice cream to cool off {we tried the Bonaroo buzz flavor and LOVED it}.


That night we threw burgers on the grill and then spent some time drawing with chalk on the driveway. Since Izzy took a late nap, she got to stay up to see fireworks for the first time. Daniel and Robert set off some smaller ones. I think they mostly scared Izzy. Sophie cowered in the house.



I love living in the country. Almost every other house on our street was shooting off their own fireworks and one house had a humongous display of fireworks that rivaled some of the shows I have watched growing up.



Monday morning we went back to the Splash Pad – Izzy was a bit braver this time. Then finished up with lunch at Sonic. 



Angela, Robert and Izzy left after lunch and Daniel and I enjoyed a lazy afternoon. We considered heading into town to watch fireworks, but it rained, so we were content to lay in our hammock and enjoy the rain and cooler air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...