Saturday, January 07, 2012

My Yearly Challenge


Long ago I gave up making yearly resolutions. They always seemed to be things like "quit biting my fingernails" or "lose weight" and I never managed to achieve whatever it was that I was resolving to do {I still bite my fingernails}.

In recent years I have taken to thinking about a word to be a theme for the coming year and this has proven to work well. It helps me to be more purposeful in how I look at the year.

In addition to this, last year I took the time to make a list of things I would like to accomplish in my life time. This list helped me to really pinpoint my dreams and was great in motivating me to cross things off my list.

Last year I managed to mark six things off my list:
45. Run a half marathon
46. Read 52 books in one year (my third year to do this)
and I made headway on another two:
5. Climb/hike to the highest points in all 50 states {added #6 Mt Washington, New Hampshire}
14. Stay married until “death do us part”  (9 years down, the rest of our lives to go)
I have found that challenges do more to motivate me than anything else. Recently I was asked to participate in a challenge to run 500 miles {via Facebook}...
You remember the old song, "I would walk 500 miles..." by the pretenders...

So would you run/walk 500 miles in 2012?


I am challenging myself and anyone who would join me to record 500 miles this calendar year.
 
That's 1.3 miles per day
9.6 miles per week
41.7 miles per month

No matter your current physical shape or condition, get out there and burn up the road! Post your miles on the group wall. Encourage others.


Who will be the first to 500?

Who will perserve to the end to join the 500 mile club?
This is the kind of challenge that really gets me excited. I don't know that I will run all of the miles, but I am sure that I can walk, run, bike, canoe or hike a total of 500 miles this year. That is the goal anyway.

In addition, I plan to read 52 books again this year. 

I would also like to make headway on the following things on my life list:
5. Climb/hike to the highest points in all 50 states
14. Stay married until “death do us part” 
19. Bike a century
20. Participate in a triathlon
22. Make Christmas stockings
51. Participate in a Muddy Buddy
53. Get to and maintain a healthy weight
59. Make my own bread {without a bread machine}. *This year I would like to make fresh bread at least once a month.
77. Make a quilt
What are your personal goals or challenges that you are working towards this year?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I can't exactly recall how I came to find your blog, but have really enjoyed reading it.
    I am a mom to 2 little boys, live in Texas and teach at a public school. Keep up the good work, and thanks for this motivating post!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria! Thanks for stopping by. I find we all need a little motivation now and then :)

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...