Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day and a Recipe

V-Day was pretty low key for us. On Monday I sent Daniel to pick up groceries since I was in Chattanooga most of the afternoon. At the top of my grocery list I put "Valentines Card." I was being cheeky as I was pretty sure my sweet husband wouldn't forget.


Later that evening, he informed me that I should provide a service for people where I make their shopping lists... for convenience I had written the items in order of where they are located in the store. I figured this would make the shopping experience less of a hassle for Daniel.


Tuesday morning I woke up and found that Daniel had left me a vase of purple tulips on the counter {one of my favorite flowers}. He also had a "card" set out for me. Evidently Walmart only had 4 options for cards left and there was a rather large line of people {presumably men?} waiting to look at said cards. Instead Daniel found a scrap of plywood and wrote me out a letter. In all honesty, it was much sweeter than some generic card.


For him, I made dinner and dessert. A deep dish pizza with homemade crust {one of our faves}.


Followed by Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bars with Vanilla Ice Cream for dessert and a homemade card. There were quite a bit of leftovers so I cut them up into small pieces and sent them to work with Daniel {you can't have that kind of chocolate goodness laying around the house}.

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bars
Recipe found at Kevin & Amanda

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/8 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2
tsp salt
1 cup (6 oz) chocolate chips
1 pkg Double Stuffed Oreos
1 Family Size (9×13) Brownie mix
1/4 cup hot fudge topping

Directions
Preheat oven to 350º F. 
Cream butter and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. 
Add egg and vanilla.
Mix to thoroughly combine. 
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Slowly incorporate into the mixer until the flour is just combined. 
Stir in chocolate chips. Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of a 11x7 baking dish that’s been lined with wax paper and sprayed with cooking spray. 
Top cookie dough with a layer of Oreos. 
Mix together brownie mix {according to package directions}.
Add an optional 1/4 cup of hot fudge topping to the mix. 
Pour the brownie batter over the cookie dough and Oreos. 
Bake at 350º F for 45-55 minutes. Let cool completely* before cutting — brownies may still be gooey in the middle when still warm, but will set up perfectly once cooled. 
*I actually cut mine while warm and served with Ice Cream on top. They were messy but so good.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmm sounds yummy - I need some now!!!
    Not sure British supermarkets stock half the ingredients though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was excellent - the leftovers were a huge hit with my husband's co-workers.

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...