Monday, January 21, 2013

DeSoto State Park: Indian Falls


I don't know about you, but there are times that I have an intense desire to get out in nature. It restores my soul. It could be cabin fever -- having been cooped up all week with a baby who has had off and on low-grade fevers {most likely due to teething} –– but mostly I think that I just need to be outside, enjoying God's creation.



We settled on DeSoto State Park in the Little River Canyon National Preserve since it is within an hour of our house and we hadn't been since I was 23-weeks pregnant with Jack. On that particular trip, we hiked a 3.5 loop to see Laurel Falls and Lost Falls. It was summertime and water levels were low, so there wasn't a lot to see.



On this hike, we just did a quick in and out, totaling 2 miles, on the DeSoto Scout Trail {marked DST with a YELLOW blaze}. The trail is well-marked and easy to follow. We didn't find it overly strenuous -- even carrying a baby and hiking with our dog.


This hike took us to Indian Falls and down into the canyon to follow the Little River where there were numerous rapids. I think this trail would be great for accessing swimming holes in the summer.


Daniel and I imagined what it would be like to run the various rapids {though our canoe is probably too big, a smaller, inflatable kayak would work better}.


It was nice to get out in nature and spend time as a family. I look forward to when Jack is big enough that we could go mountain biking or do an overnight backpacking trip {we hope to do a backpacking trip when the weather warms up}. We are looking forward to more visits to DeSoto State Park and the Little River Canyon in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...