Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Other Inconvenient Truth per Ernie Schenck

In the March/April 2007 issue of Communication Arts Magazine, in the advertising column, Ernie Schenck warns about the war on creativity in our culture. This is an article that I would highly recommend that you read. 

The education system in the US is going to pot. Every time you see a comparison of grade scores from around the world, US children continue to lag behind in English, Math and Science. They are even further behind in Reasoning/Problem Solving.

I remember back to ten years ago when I was in high school taking the ACT and how everyone was deathly afraid of the Reasoning part of the test. This is because we were not trained to be thinkers and problem solvers. I was one of the few to score relatively high in this area.

What will happen in the next 10 years as less and less students come out of the American education system less and less prepared? Who will come up with new inventions and solve our world's problems? Will there be anyone who knows how to truly be creative or will they continue to insist on taking ideas from others and recylcing them as their own? There are days that I worry tremendously about the future of this country because it will always rest on the shoulders of the generations to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...