Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day...

To tell the truth, this statement is a lie or at the very least an exaggeration. It definitely could have been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, but instead a would-be bad experience wasn't that bad.

It is 10:20 p.m., I just got home and here is my story...


Tonight is not a teaching night for me. However, one of the heads of the departments that I teach for asked me to come down to Rock Hill, SC to discuss creating some online courses for students. Over dinner, we discussed the needs and how I could be of use. Things went really well and while I am going to take a break from actually teaching for the summer, I am going to develop the online courses and then pick up teaching again later. So that is good news.


The trouble started when I got in my car to come home. I called Daniel to let him know that I was on my way and tell him about dinner. While stopped at a light, I noticed the car start to sputter. I turned it off to try to conserve energy (dumb idea). The car would not turn back on.


Since I was on the phone with Daniel already, he suggested that I get out of the car and move to a safe place and call AAA. This is where my unpleasant experience started to get better (at least considering the circumstances).


AAA was extremely helpful. While I waited, a cop pulled up and also offered assistance. He called another cop and they helped to push my car out of the road to a Hardee's parking lot.


AAA called back to say that the tow truck was on its way. I was thankful to be at Hardee's and not in the middle of the road as it was getting dark.


I bought myself a milkshake and contemplated what to do while I waited for the tow truck (it was supposed to take 60 minutes for the tow truck to show up). In a record 15 minutes, the tow truck was there.


AAA called me a third time to verify that I was ok. Can I just say how incredibly impressed I am with AAA??? There customer service was amazing (if breaking down can be amazing).


The tow truck driver was extremely nice and talkative. It was actually an enjoyable ride back to Charlotte considering the circumstance.


While all of this was going on, Daniel had to ride his bicycle to a not so good part of town after dark to buy an alternator and a new battery. Now he is in the garage fixing these things. So really, it was him and not me that had the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.


All I can say is that I am very thankful for AAA and they have amazing customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...