Thursday, February 11, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 7

This week I read the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon. The story is a work of fiction told from the point-of-view of a very intelligent, autistic child who is trying to solve the murder of a neighbor dog and in turn discovers his parents separation. 

It is interesting because he has a hard time understanding emotions, yet he has to reconcile some of the most difficult emotions that come with divorce - he just doesn't comprehend what he is feeling. While I enjoyed the book, it made me a bit dizzy to read. But I think that was the point.

Quotes from the book:
I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.

Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.

People say that you always have to tell the truth. But they do not mean this because you are not allowed to tell people that they are old and you are not allowed to tell people they smell funny... and you are not allowed to say "I don't like you" unless that person has been horrible to you.

It is best if you know a good thing is going to happen... And it is bad if you know a bad thing is going to happen... but I think it's worst if you don't know whether it is a good thing or a bad thing which is going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...