Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Project 52: Date Nights - Table Saw

This date is a bit of a stretch, but it is what our life is right now...

The entire weekend was spent working on house projects. Saturday we took an intermission to run out for lunch (we also hauled some leftover drywall to the landfill and made stops at Home Depot and Lowe's).

Lunch was great - barbecue from the Q Shack. Before heading to Lowe's to buy caulk, we made a stop at Home Depot to pick up some drywall mud. Daniel came out of HD and we headed over to Lowe's and proceeded to have the following conversation: 
Daniel: "So there's a really nice table saw at HD marked down from $500 to $300." 
Me: "Uh-huh. Don't we already have a table saw?" 
Him: "Yeah, but this is a really good deal. There is only one left and I can sell the stand that comes with it on Craigslist for $100 - so really it would only cost us $200."
Me: "I see. Do you need it?"
Him: "Define need." 
Me: "Is it necessary to your life?"
Him: "Ummm..."
I think for a little while... 
Me: "Since it is such a good deal and there is only one left and its a Saturday, let's go pick it up and we can think about it later."
Daniel was shocked that I agreed so easily.
Me: "Worst-case scenario, you sell the whole thing on Craigslist and make a $200 profit."
Him: "I love you."
We went back  to Home Depot to pick up the table saw. They had to load it on our trailer with a fork lift because it weighed 500 lbs. At home our friend, Benjy, helped Daniel unload it - they had to use the engine hoist to get it off of the trailer.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, a date is a date... we've had some where I stand there talking and visiting and helping him with brake projects, or other stuff in the Garage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the garage date too! I am quite adept at knowing which tools he needs and how to bleed brakes! Glad to know that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great conversation. thanks for sharing that. and it's fun to read about your house projects and how it's coming along through your dates. we'll see you next week!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! We have conversations about tools and such... I find going out to hardware stores very exciting. They are full of dreams to me. We discuss home improvements and tools. I have no idea what is being discussed sometimes but that is okay too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this:) the boyfriend and i have many conversations along these lines...although, not about table saws.

    good luck on the 52 books in 52 weeks-i will for sure be checking back for some killer reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mid-Craft Crisis: I love home improvement too - I am a dreamer and my husband is a doer. We are very compatible for doing projects together... we are going on 4+ years of renovating our home.

    Emma: I have been trying to post my weekly book reviews on Thursday or Friday of each week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "let's go pick it up and think about it later" -- Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we decided to keep the new saw and are selling the old table saw on craigslist. my husband is one happy man.

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...