Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cheesy Chicken, Spinach and Orzo Casserole


This dish was going to be a vegetarian meal based on the Three Cheese Orzo and Spinach Dish by How Sweet It is. But Daniel complained about the number of times we have ate meatless dishes this week, so I decided to tweak the recipe and add chicken. The end result was a rating of 4.8/5 stars from Daniel. We are big fans of orzo, so I need to find more recipes that include this pasta.

Cheesy Chicken, Spinach and Orzo Casserole
serves 2-4

Ingredients
1 cup orzo pasta
2 cups water
2 tbsp chicken stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chicken breast, diced
1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 cup Fiesta style cheese (or whatever you have on hand)
1 6-ounce bag of spinach

Directions
Boil water and chicken stock. Add orzo and cook for 9 minutes.
Meanwhile heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. 
Saute the onions and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. 
Add chicken breast to the onion/garlic mixture and cook until browned, about 7 minutes.
Add the spinach and cooked orzo, cooking until spinach wilts.
Finally, stir in the cheese, mixing until melted and combined.

This is great comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...