Friday, August 12, 2011

Sweet Relief

I have mentioned before how much of a struggle heartburn has been for me. In recent weeks it has become increasingly worse – to the point that I wake up in the middle of the night almost in tears. This is saying a lot as I rarely cry {even during this pregnancy crying has been rare}. The only way I have been able to sleep is sitting up and popping Tums every 1-2 hours. The Tums work, they are just not long lasting.

Heartburn comes from just thinking about food or drinking a single sip of water or for no reason at all. It is particularly bad when I do eat or drink. Since I can't stop eating or drinking I have been coping as best I can.

I am generally not a fan of taking meds and I have to feel pretty terrible before I will take anything, but I have been at my wit's end with this heartburn thing. I tried Zantac {which made the heartburn worse}, and then Pepcid {which did nothing for me}, before asking my OB for something stronger. She gave me a prescription for Nexium. My mom and sister both had extreme heartburn during their pregnancies and Nexium worked for my sister, so at this point I was willing to try anything.

My ultimate test was taking my first Nexium last night before we went to dinner. We had Mexican which is my fave, but it also gives me the worst heartburn. After downing chips, salsa, a Chimichanga and some Dr. Pepper, I was getting nervous about how my evening would go.

We went home and watched a movie and I was able to lay down on the couch. And then we went to bed. Amazingly I didn't have problems falling asleep and even better was the fact that I slept soundly all night and didn't have any kind of pain whatsoever.

I know not everyone will agree that Nexium is the best option, but for me it is providing some much needed relief and I am ok with that.

Please pass me the purple pill...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...