Thursday, August 23, 2012

Skillet Apple Pie

I have gotten into the habit of relying on the internet for recipes and I often forget that there is an arsenal of recipes at my finger tips – cookbooks and magazines galore floating around my house. 

The other day I picked up an old copy of Southern Living and saw what looked like a great recipe for a Skillet Apple Pie. I am so glad I tried this out – it is one of the best {and easiest} pies I have made. It has caramelized brown sugar that really anchors the dessert – almost making it too sweet... but that is what vanilla ice cream is for.


Skillet Apple Pie
recipe adapted from Southern Living

Ingredients
2 Granny Smith apples
Braeburn apples
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 package refrigerated pie crusts – I used the Walmart brand in a tin – which I have discovered to be a really flaky, really yummy crust

Directions
Preheat oven to 350º. 
Set pie crust on counter to thaw {make sure you have at least 10 minutes for thawing}.
Cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges and toss with cinnamon and granulated sugar.
Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet {I used a 12-inch skillet} over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. 
Remove from heat, and remove 1 pie crust from store tin and place in skillet OVER  brown sugar mixture {this is genius!}
Spoon apple mixture over pie crust, and top with remaining pie crust {also removed from tin}. Pie crust will probably break as you remove it... don't worry, this allows for air to circulate and cook more evenly {the upside is that you don't have to cut slits in the top of the crust}.
Bake at 350º for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving. 
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I found your blog because I searched for "yellow brown brick" and found out about all that work you guys did on your old house--looked amazing by the way! I've done a little reading around and your little boy is just a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...