Monday, February 01, 2016

Books I Read in January, 2016 (#1-3)

Once upon a time, I regularly read 52+books a year. With little ones at home, and a part-time graphic design business, reading for has become less of a priority (last year I only made it through 10 books). 

I am hoping that 2016 will be the year I get back in the habit of reading again – I feel like a more rounded person when I am reading on a regular basis. So while I don't have a lofty goal of 52 books for this year, I do hope I can read at least two books each month.

Here goes...

At the close of 2015 I was reading









"Class Differences in Child-Rearing Are on the Rise"



Find the Good: Unexpected Life Lessons from a Small-Town Obituary Writer by Heather Lende. 



I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was just what I needed to read. I've been stuck in a rut since the new year started, working to let go of the things that bother me, trying to be a better mother and wife, while dealing with a 4-year-old's sudden onset of separation anxiety and also preparing for my husband to work night shifts for the next two weeks. Finding the Good reminded me that there is always good around me, and I don't have to wait for life to be perfect to find things to be happy about. For a book that centers on the deaths of people, it was a surprisingly light read with bits of humor sprinkled through out. If your days are feeling a little long and depressing, this book is worth the read.

My favorite quote in this book was:
The life you imagine doesn't just happen while you are daydreaming about it on the drive across the country. It requires effort once you reach your destination.
I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.
 


















I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...