Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Snow Day


This morning schools in the greater Chattanooga area were on a 2-hour delay. Up on Signal Mountain everyone is scratching their heads because it has been snowing all morning, and this is the south. 


Meaning schools almost always close for snow. Or the threat of snow. Or because is it is just too cold.


For a brief time in elementary school I lived in southern Ontario, Canada. For those three years, I walked to school (uphill both ways) in the snow. According to my mom, when she was growing up, the schools never closed unless it was 40 below (or something like that).


It was always a big joke when we moved to Arkansas and the towns would shut down for the threat of cold weather. I have lived in the south for 20+ years now and I get it. The south isn't equipped like they are in the north. There is no point in having machinery to clear the snow when it rarely snows.


Anyway, I have been watching the snow fall all morning. Our wood stove has been steadily burning for the last two days to ward off the chill in our house. This morning, as the snow fell and the sun peeked through the clouds, it looked like glitter was falling from the sky. Beautiful.


Jack loves the snow. This time the snow hasn't been enough to sled on, but it has accumulated nicely on our decks. Perfect for snowball fights with daddy.


Isaac is thrilled to press his face up against the back door to watch his big brother play. I wonder what he thinks about the snow.


Maybe one year we will make a winter trek to Canada to show our boys what I real snow can look like. For now, I am sitting inside enjoying a hot drink, thankful that while it is pretty, it will go away in a day or two and that spring is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...