Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Take Your Kid to Work Day


One of the things that made me think I could handle homeschooling was that Jack would be attending a program at the Y once a week. Yesterday we found out that the participation was too low and the program was cancelled.

I was pretty bummed, but I felt really bad for Jack. So Daniel and I talked it over and decided this week would be a great week for Jack to visit Daniel at work on Tuesday (to help us transition out of the loss of the Y day).


This turned out to be a really cool day for Jack.

I dropped him for lunch with Daniel. When I picked him up, I got to hear all of the interesting things about daddy’s work. Lots of use of the phrase, “Guess what, mommy?!??” 
 


He was especially excited to tell me about the “fancy door” that he needed his own badge to walk through. He told me about the impressive floor-to-ceiling art and the fountains in the atrium. He loved the tunnels and walkway over the street between the buildings that make up TVA. And he thought it was pretty cool that they got to buy their food in one room and eat in another. 

They ran into some of Daniel's co-workers that knew him since he was a baby, and also one of his Sunday School teacher's from church. Daniel said he was a little shy and spoke really quietly, but they had a really great experience together. Jack thinks they need to go back and take Isaac with them. I'm sure we can arrange that.


On a happy note, followed up with a Y that is across town and begged for a spot for Jack. I was in luck –– they were able to squeeze him in. We know several kids in this program so I know Jack will have no problem transitioning to the new program. It is on Thursdays instead of Tuesdays, so we will have to rearrange our schedule a bit and do our hikes on Tuesday instead of Thursday, but that is no biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...