Sunday, February 18, 2018

Family Hike to Mushroom Rock


Isaac has been insisting that we hike to Mushroom Rock – his last trip here was when I fell and injured myself.


Even though Jack and I just did this hike, we decided to go back as a family.


On this hike we ran into Isaac's preschool teacher.


After our hike, we ran into her again when we went to get pizza at our local pizza parlor. We love living in a small town where this type of thing happens!


Today we decided to take Jack's hammock along with us. There is a really tranquil creek crossing that I wanted to hang out by.


This is one of my favorite spots on the mountain and I enjoyed some quiet in the hammock while my boys explored the creek.


After our time at the creek, we pressed on to Mushroom Rock.



Along the way, there are several downed logs to practice walking across. Jack has really developed his balancing skills on these logs, and Isaac is working on improving his skill as well.


Arriving at Mushroom Rock means a snack break, and Jack and Daniel did a little free climbing. Jack gets a little higher with each visit (but not too high).



Isaac accomplished a first today, he walked all the way to Mushroom Rock without being carried, and part of the way back! He probably covered close to two miles and we are so proud of him!



On the way back to the car, we sometimes make a deal with Jack that whoever gets back to the car first gets to pick where we eat.


This often turns into a foot race back to the car between Jack and whichever parent is not walking with Isaac. Today that meant we all jogged up the hill together (Daniel did it with Isaac on his back, listening to Slow Ride)... then Jack and I ran the last mile back to the car.


Jack won.


So we went for pizza afterward.


Time in the woods as a family ranks high on my list of things that make me happy and I'm so thankful that we make the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...