Saturday, October 06, 2018

Utah of Bust: Cousin Andrew Gets Married

Utah Road Trip Diaries: Day 23, we spent the day with family in anticipation of my cousin getting married. The ladies got their nails done and we all enjoyed visiting both before and after the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.

Utah Road Trip Diaries: Day 24 is our last full day on the road and we spent it with family. We camped in my brother’s driveway last night in East Nashville. This morning he had everyone from the extended family over for home-made Eggs Benedict, his specialty. It was superb. The rest of the day was wrangling little boys before the wedding, trying to keep their white shirts relatively clean and them out of trouble. My cousin Andrew had a beautiful wedding to Kayla. We are so happy to have her officially in the family. After the wedding, the party continued at my aunt and uncles house with visiting around a campfire. We are anxious to get home but this was a nice way to end our trip, surrounded by so many people that we love. 

Utah Road Trip Diaries: Day 25 means HOME. We enjoyed visiting with family, and even squeezed in visiting with some of Daniel’s family on our last leg (didn’t get any photos though 😏). We drove over 5,000 miles through 14 states (TN, AL, MS, AR, OK, NM, CO, UT, ID, WY, KS, MO, KY & GA). I drove almost half of that time and discovered it was easier to drive out west where there are less people than it is closer to home. We had no TV for the entire 25 days and the kids had limited movie time and screen time in the car. We had some amazing experiences as a family that I hope we will look back on when life feels hard or is pulling us in different directions. The trip had its ups and downs, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. It got us in a different rhythm. It let me see Daniel in a new light and see his skills shine. I really appreciate him. Hopefully he saw some good things about me and appreciates me in a different light as well. The kids were fantastic travelers. I think Daniel and I were more grouchy at times than they were. It will be interesting to try to ease back into normal life. I hope we keep some of the good habits formed over the last 25 days and forgive the harder stuff. I hope we have more adventures in store, both close to home and on a greater magnitude. 6 National Parks, 2 state parks, 1 national preserve, 1 national monument, Walmart parking lots and BLM land... we had quite the adventure in September.

Trip Stats 
Camping Locations:

Wallydocking in Guymon, OK (FREE)
Family Base Camp in Alamosa, Colo. 
Mesa Verde RV Resort in Mancos, Colo.
Sand Flats Recreation Area outside of Moab, Utah
Upper Big Bed Overflow on the Colorado River outside of Moab, Utah (FREE)
Boondocking on BLM land outside of Goblin Valley State Park, Utah (FREE)
Hyrum Lake State Park outside of Logan, Utah
Western Hills Campground and RV Park in Rawlins, WY
Wallydocking in Hays, KS (FREE) 
Hanson Hills Campground just past Columbia, MO
Moochdocking in my Aunt and Uncle's front yard (FREE), Ashland City, TN 
Moochdocking in my brother's driveway in East Nashville, TN 
 
States Covered: 
TN > GA > AL > MS > TN > MS > TN > AR > OK > NM > CO > UT > WY > CO > KS > MO > TN > GA > TN
Significant Stops: 
Black Mesa in OK (highest point)
Wilson Arch in UT
Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument in UT
Bryce Canyon National Park in UT
Hyrum Lake State Park in UT
Ogden Dinosaur Park in UT
Logan Canyon in UT
Canyon Trail in Logan, UT
Bear Lake State Park, UT
Grand Tetons, WY
Yellowstone National Park, WY (The Grand Loop including Old Faithful, Hayden Valley, Grand Prismatic Springs and Artist Point in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone)
Rendezvous Mountain, Jackson Hole, WY
Jenny Lake, Grand Tetons National Park, WY
Cousin Andrew's wedding to Kayla, Ashland City, TN

Daily Miles Traveled: 
227 miles ⎮ 445 miles ⎮ 403 miles ⎮ 325 miles ⎮ 191 miles ⎮ 125 miles ⎮ 14 miles ⎮ 106 miles ⎮ 88 miles ⎮ 101 miles ⎮ 345 miles 50 miles 160 miles 142 miles 283 miles 556 miles 390 miles 415 miles 162 miles
TOTAL Miles Traveled: 4,528 miles (I have missed mileage somewhere since it doesn't coincide with my notes above of 5,000+)
Days on the Road: 25

Previous Trip Posts:

Utah or Bust: Mesa Verde 
Utah or Bust: Moab Part 1 (Sand Flats Recreation Area and Mountain Biking the West Rim of the Porcupine Trail) 
Utah or Bust: Moab Part 2 (Arches National Park) 
Utah or Bust: Goblin Valley
Utah or Bust: Capitol Reef

Utah or Bust: Grand Staircase and Bryce Canyon 

Utah or Bust: Hyrum Lake near Logan, Utah 

Utah or Bust: Chilling at Hyrum Lake 

Utah or Bust: Ogden Dinosaur Park

Utah or Bust: Last Days in Logan 

Utah or Bust: Bear Lake to Grand Tetons 

Utah or Bust: Rendezvous Mountain and Jenny Lake

Utah or Bust: Headed Home 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...