Monday, October 22, 2018

Mohaus Schoolhouse Week 9

Last week we completed the 10th 9th week of the school year and it was a busy one. 


Monday we worked on several Boy Scout projects including taking a mini nature hike and making a bird house. That night the Boy Scout meeting included a trebuchet to chunk pumpkins and also a chance to carve pumpkins. It rained but we still had a blast. 


Tuesday Jack and I did several science experiments involving straws while Isaac was at preschool.



Wednesday was our weekly hike and we did a new (to us) trail at McCoy Farms. The leaves aren’t fully changing yet but we still enjoyed checking out the variety of trees there.



While hiking we discussed the Robert Frost poem, “The Road Less Taken” and also a scene we had read in “Little House in the Big Woods.”

For our studies, we finished listening to “The Wizard of Oz” and started listening to a new podcast, One Third Stories, that is an excellent resource for beginning to learn Spanish. 

Thursday was Jack’s enrichment day at the Y. 



We began a new math program and really like it, but it is challenging and there was some frustration over the lessons. But we persevered and I think Beast Academy will be a great fit for Jack. 


Then Friday was a field trip to pick apples at a local orchard with friends. 


Friday afternoon Jack and Daniel went trail riding with another father-son that we are good friends with.



And Saturday both boys competed in the Youth Trials event at the Tennessee Trials Training Center where Jack picked up his second first place trophy.



I’m still trying to get a handle on what our days should look like this year. I tend to want to push through as much material as possible but am trying to remind myself that Jack is just in first grade and the main goal is to instill a love of learning.


What Our Homeschool Looked Like in October:
Week 7 (Sept. 30-Oct. 6)
Week 8
(Oct. 7-13)
Week 9 (Oct. 14-20)
Week 10 (Oct. 21-27)
Week 11 (Oct. 28-Nov. 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...