Monday, October 08, 2018

Mohaus Schoolhouse Week 7



I’m not going to lie, after a month on the road, our seventh week of homeschool felt a bit anticlimactic. We are having to assimilate back into our lives and it’s both good and hard. The good part is friends. The first thing that happened when we got home was one of Jack’s best friends came running by our house yelling, “You’re home! Jack is finally home!!!”


Reunions are so sweet. And a month is a long time to a six year old. We felt the love all week as we ran into our friends. As an adult it made my year to see my best friends and get hugs. I think we all need to feel loved and know that we leave a hole when we are gone.


As for the rest, all of the laundry and excess of toys is overwhelming to me. I don’t know that the kids notice but I’m missing the smallness of the camper and the reduction in workload while we were on the road.


In terms of school, we are slowly getting back into it. We are reading “The Mysterious Howling” and “Little House in the Big Woods,” and “Gulliver’s Travels.” I discovered the podcast “The Same Page” and am excited about this daily resource that shares tidbits from scripture, classical poems, Shakespeare, and presidential facts. Plus, there is a daily reading from “The Wizard of Oz.”


We are wrapping up a unit on money for math and using our maps to retrace the route of our trip and go more in depth about the USA for geography and history.


It’s been so hot that I haven’t felt like getting back into hiking, but we will soon. Jack is still dragging his feet for anything Language Arts related but we will find a rhythm in that as we go.


Next week is fall break locally, but since we have been gone we will be doing school. After freezing in Wyoming a little over a week ago, I’m struggling with it being so hot and humid here in Tennessee. Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving and I’m not sure if I will feel up to making pumpkin pie like I usually do. Until next week...


What Our Homeschool Looked Like in October:
Week 7 (Sept. 30-Oct. 6)
Week 8
(Oct. 7-13)
Week 9 (Oct. 14-20)
Week 10 (Oct. 21-27)
Week 11 (Oct. 28-Nov. 3)

What Our Homeschool Looked Like in August:
Week 1-2 (Aug. 8-18)
Week 3 (Aug. 19-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...