Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Word for the Year: BE


For the last decade I have been kicking off the new year with a focus for what I want to be happening in the year to come. Instead of a resolution, it's an overarching idea for my life. Last year I was looking for healing in my life. Physically I got closer to that goal when I discovered that I had a herniated disc in my back and I worked hard to remedy the problem.

Somehow a decade has passed since I began this practice. So for the tenth year of focusing my life, I think I just want to be

I want to be present for the people I am with and situations I am in. No more FOMO (fear of missing out), or feeling left out. The family and friends who choose to be in our lives are the most important and I want to be fully present with them.

I want to be available, meaning I have space in my life for others, and a willingness to reach out to those around me. I think I already do this fairly well, but I want to make sure that we don't allow our family life to get overly busy. I want space to breathe and to have time for people and things that come up. When we over schedule ourselves, there is no space for others. Our family makes a concerted effort to do this, but I want this idea to continue to be in the forefront of my thinking and planning in our day-to-day lives.

And finally, I want to just be myself. In recent years I have stopped doing some of the things I love, like blogging, because there might be perceived social mores that I am breaking... I really hate the hashtag #sorrynotsorry, but really I'm not sorry. If something brings me pleasure, I hope I can have the courage to keep doing it. 

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 
Romans 12:10-13 
 
Words from previous years: 
Fortitude {2010}Adaptation {2011}Patience {2012}Deliberate {2013}
 Joy {2014}Peace {2015} │  Release {2016}Savor {2017}Healing {2018}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...