Thursday, January 01, 2015

Word for the Year: Peace




 At this time last year, I wrote about the desire to choose joy in my life. To delight in what is in front of me regardless of the situation. It was a hard year to be focused on joy. But looking back, I do think that there were moments of sweetness mixed in with the hard. To be honest, its hard not to embrace some amount of joy when you are seeing the world, fresh through a toddler's eyes. 

So even in the times I was experiencing doubt, sadness or anxiety, my little family made it possible to find moments of joy in my life.

As I look to 2015, I'm not sure what to expect. In a few short months I will have a newborn in my arms again. I am keenly aware of the sleepless nights to come. I am unsure of what it will look like to balance the needs of a newborn with those of a thriving toddler. Not to mention my marriage or my personal needs. I am excited about this year, but that excitement is tempered with a degree of trepidation.

With that in mind, I think peace is a word that I want to keep in mind for 2015. It's not an earth shattering word or a new concept, but freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession; and tranquillity; serenity are things that I desperately need when life gets chaotic. On those days that Daniel has to work long hours, or I feel like I am being pulled in a million directions, I hope that I can have the the fortitude to be free of distraction and anxiety or obsession and to adapt and be deliberate in the phase of life I am in, finding joy in all things.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
 
Words from previous years:
Fortitude {2010} ~ Adaptation {2011} ~ Patience {2012}
Deliberate {2013} ~ Joy {2014}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...