Tuesday, June 30, 2020

One Second Every Day: June


This captures one second of each day in the month of June. June was a month of holding life in tension. Tensions came to a head after the murder of George Floyd by a policeman which led to protests worldwide and in some cases rioting. Online people shouted each other down telling others how they should be reacting on social media. In real life I checked in with people I personally knew who were hurting. I talked to my kids. I had hard conversations. That will continue. On top of this, we are also still dealing with the fact that Covid-19 cases are on the rise where we live. Mental health suggests we have to find better ways to cope. And so we are holding all of this in tension. We are choosing to meet with small groups of friends outside. In juxtaposition to these heavy things we took a quick weekend trip to Florida to see family. We managed to do our annual rafting trip on the Hiwassee with friends on Father’s Day weekend. We also did our first camping trip of the year and hiked to the beautiful Cummins Falls. The kids have biked their hearts out and have continued to sleep in cushion forts and play well together. Daniel spent four nights fixing our SUV after a mechanic broke a bolt on a control arm. Living with and having to fix other people’s wrongs, that seems to be a theme right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...