Monday, July 19, 2010

Porch Repair

Today we had a crew come by to take care of our porch foundation. It need to be reinforced as it has slowly been sinking and there were visible cracks in the porch. It is a 30+year old house, but as part of the sale, we agreed to have it fixed.

The crew from Carolina Foundation Solutions was great. They let me watch and photograph their process - not to mention answered my questions about how it all works. It rained part way through the afternoon, but they were able to get the work done.

 
 Prepping to dig three holes to insert three piers under the porch 
to stabilize it from sinking further.

Bush #1 out.

 
Bush #2 out.

Piers ready to insert.

Base of pier screws into the ground.

Pier #1 was 14 feet. Piers #2 and #3 were 21 feet.

An auger is connected to the track hoe and used to drill the pier into the ground.

Top of the pier is cut off with a band saw.

Heavy-duty L-Bracket that is attached to the top of the pier. 
This clamps underneath the porch and then a {hand-pump} 
hydraulic system is used to raise/stabilize the porch.

L-Bracket being attached.

L-Bracket secured.

Hydraulic hand pump used to stabilize L-Bracket and pier.

Porch repair completed and bushes back in place. I hope they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...