Friday, March 11, 2011

Oatmeal-Nutella-Peanut Butter Cookies


Last night I was in the mood for cookies. Since Thursdays are our Fridays and I was making a vegetarian pizza for dinner, I figured cookies would be acceptable.

I scoured my cookie recipes and checked my cupboards for ingredients before settling on these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Stephanie Cook's blog.

But then I realized that I was out of eggs and Daniel had finished the last of our chocolate chips {to be fair, he said there were only a few left in the bag}.

Not to be deterred, I decided to experiment with substituting applesauce for the egg and Nutella for the chocolate chips.

In the end, we had super flat cookies that were reminiscent of Nutter Butter cookies – which was a win as far as we were concerned.

Oatmeal-Nutella-Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter 
1/2 cup white sugar 
1/3 cup packed brown sugar 
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy will both work) 
1/3 cup nutella
 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/2 cup applesauce (or 1 egg)
1 cup all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cup rolled oats 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. 
3. Stir in the peanut butter, nutella, vanilla and egg until well blended. 
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together.
5. Stir dry ingredients into the batter just until moistened. 
6. Mix in the oats until evenly distributed. 
7. Drop by tablespoonfuls on to lightly greased cookie sheets. 
8. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges start to brown.

These cookies turned out great, though they were kind of flat {maybe due to the lack of egg?}. I would try them again with an egg and I would increase the oats to 1 cup and the Nutella to at least 1/2 a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...